Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Driving Health & Safety - Reversing Sensors To Save Lives

The Daily Mail reported the tragic story of four-year old Olivia Hicks run over in her grandparents' driveway. I agree with all the comments that all new cars should be fitted with reversing sensors.
Somebody says sensors are inexpensive. Certainly a sensor is less expensive than damage to cars from bollards, plus injuries and loss of life.
I agree that legislation should make them compulsory. Automatic lights, signalling cars turning right and left, are now standard, but were once a novelty. Making sensors compulsory is a probably inevitable development which should be hurried along.
The loss of the child is not 'just a tragic accident' in the sense of unforeseeable, unpredictable, can never be prevented. It's the third UK case I've read about.
One reader claims an accident like this happens in Australia every week. In major events like air crashes the newspaper lists all similar accidents.
I've been looking at new cars with a member of my family. I shall check that reversing sensors are in my list of features the car must have already fitted, or must be fitted when we buy a new or second-hand car.

No comments: