Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Learning Languages Whilst Travelling - Malay For Emergency Exit


Problems
How do you learn languages while travelling?
What do signs mean?

Answers
Translate signs on buses and trains and words you hear.

Story
I had looked at the signs on the trains and buses. Finally I got around to taking a photo so I could translate later. I could see the word Pintu on Malay (which is mostly the same as Indonesian) was likely to be door. I speak Franch and remembered that the French for the door is la porte. But what were the other two words?


I photographed the sign on a bus window. It was at an angle but I later blew up the words.

I translated the three words by typing them into my search engine as translate ... I did not even have to specify the language. What came up was the heading Indonesian, not Malaysian.

Malaysian / Indonesian - English
Pintu - door
keluar - exit
kecemasan - worry (emergency)

So now every time I sit on a bus or train and see that sign I will be reminded of pintu, which I have confirmed is door, cellar is exit, and kecemasan is worry / emergency.

If you or I ever need the exit we can ask in Malay or Indonesian for the Keluar or keluar kecemasan. How do you pronounce it? Fortunately Malay and Indonesian languages are phonetic (sounds like it's written). K is a hard sound like the first and last letters in the word kick. C is pronounced like Ch as in the first and last letters of Church or the initial c in cello. S is S. Reminder sentence: don't kick the cello. Kecemasan.

Every time you and I sit on a bus or train we also have a reminder of the pronunciation of the letters k and c. Don't kick the cello.

Tips
1 For instant translation simply type any word you see into your search engine on your phone or iPad or laptop.
2 Keep a record of new words at the back of your physical diary or in the Notes page on a smart phone such as the iPhone.

Author
Angela Lansbury, English teacher, tutor, author, speaker.

No comments: