Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, October 15, 2017

How To Roll Your Rs in Spanish and Italian - with the help of my dog

Countries where Spanish is spoken as a first language.

Problems
How do you roll your Rs? You can learn to read Italian and Spanish. Then you listen and try to repeat and you don't sound the same as the instructor. You try to speak it but you don't sound right until you can roll your Rs. You don't know which r should be rolled and which is normal - except by listening to the recordings and hoping you will remember the words which roll the R. At first you manage the correct sound once, but can't do it every time. Or only say it when reminded

1 You feel frustrated.
2 You sound like a foreigner.
3 Some words have different meanings with rolled Rs. Which ones?
4 You cannot teach anybody else until you can pronounce words correctly.

Answers
Keep looking on the internet for diagrams of the mouth and descriptions and repeating the actions.

Words Needing Rolled R - not needing rolled r
perro - dog - pero - but

I shall work on constructing and translating a sentence along the lines of: My teacher likes my dog but my dog only likes other dogs. My dog does not like other dogs but my teacher likes my dog. My teacher does not like dogs but my teacher likes my dog.

Google translate gives me this result:
A mi maestro le gusta mi perro pero a mi perro solo le gustan otros perros.
A mi perro no le gustan los otros perros, pero a mi maestro le gusta mi perro.
A mi maestra no le gustan los perros, pero a mi maestra le gusta mi perro.

Remembering which word and which type of spelling requires the rolled r is easy. The one which sounds like a dog's growl is the word for dog with a double r. Think of two rows of teeth in the word for dog.

The google all the videos describing how to do it. I like to revise my searches every six months. Somebody new will have added a video by that time.

https://www.supercocoapp.com/post/how-to-roll-your-rs/

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.


No comments: