Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Welsh Cakes From The Train - What To Do and What Not To Do



Problem
Welsh cakes bought on the GWR train from Fishguard to London were delicious. At least one of them was. The one I ate on the train was awful. What was wrong?

Answer
What Not To Do
I ate it cold.

What To Do
Today I found the other one and ate it hot. Delicious. I added butter and jam, but you don't need to.

What Not To Do
I did, however, make the mistake of trying to cook it in the toaster. What happened. It disintegrated. I smelled burning. I rushed to the toaster. The Welsh cake was stuck. I could not get it out.

I thought: I could put a knife or fork into the toaster. That's dangerous.  I did it.

The little teacake broke up further. Oh, crumbs, I shall end up with crumbs.

I can't put my fingers inside. I risk burning my fingers. I have to tip it out. Where? Not onto a small plate or breakfast bowl. Bits will fall all over the work surface. I will either lose half the food, or eat unhygienic food, and the bits I miss will feed insects.

The sink is bigger. The lost crumbs will be easy to wash away. However, I'll lose most of the cake which will turn to goo in the wet sink and I shall worry that I've eaten something contaminated with washing up liquid.

What To Do
I looked down and saw my frying pan. Tip the toaster over the frying pan. First unplug the toaster .... Then tip out the Welsh cake.

That does it. Is it still hot? Barely. Not enough to melt butter. But no time to play more games, Just eat.

Oh - wow! You wouldn't think it was the same food I ate previously. Heating makes all the difference.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: