Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Easy train changes



Some countries show easy changes on the main rail maps or supplementary maps. 
In Singapore the MRT map shows approximate walking time between stations nearby.

Sometimes the people manning the station kiosk are helpful. Other times they don't have a clue. You might find better results at another station. Nearer your change stations. 

Or ask people who live or work in the area. Or people who live in your block when you move to a new area.

If you move to a new city, you can calculate travel times. It is easier to time a real time journey.

Mark on your own 'magic' map the easy changeover stations and the difficult ones.

London, UK
For example, in London, sometimes you just have to cross the platform at stations such as Finchley Road going into town on the bakerloo and Met lines. And at Wembley Park.

Baker Street has some easy changes and some hard ones. 

Singapore
It also depends on your attitude. I like Newston station. I find the change over easy, although you take 2 escalotrs up, a quick walk past the ticket office, insert your ticket again. Better than Bugis which involves an escaalator up, a long walk with a travelator, Another escalator.  The worst station for me is Stevens.  I took a bus from the Orchard Road and Orchard MRT station area to Stevens MRT. I counted six escalators. My husband said it was five. Plus some walking. Whatever. it was more than two escalators too many.

Lots of stations have seveeral entrances and exits. For example, Tanjong Pagar. I was visiting International Plaza. On my way there, I had an Escalator up. Returning I would have had to descend a large number of steps.

However, new friends led me across the road, through a shopping centre, which seemed an unnecesary diversion, however, down a lift to the platform, no steps. 

Another station with assorted exits is Little India. Check exits in advance. if you take the wrong one, not only do you have a walk, but you might need to cross diagonally which means an L shape of two sets of traffic lights and long waits.

Useful Websites
UK

Singapore

No comments: