Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Winter Dates from China in Singapore


Winter Dates in packaging, bought from Fairprice supermarket, Singapore. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

I was looking for fruit in a Fairprice supermarket in Singapore. I wanted cheap fruit. The prices of most fruit in Singapore is twice the price of the UK.

I spied Winter Dates. What were they? Dates?

I bought them.

When I got home I was disappointed to find that they were rock hard. I was also puzzled. What was I supposed to do with them? Wait until they matured and softened? Then eat them raw? Or boil them up?

 I bit into one. It is edible. Like a hard apple. No flavour. Maybe bulk with a flavoursome fruit to make a fruit salad or fruit pie.

One suggestion on Facebook from Jane>

 Try Sephardi charoset?

  • I looked ir up.
  • Shredded apple, walnuts.
 Seder night food 
for Passover.


  • Another suggestion, try soaking them in wine for a couple of days.


http://chestofbooks.com/gardening-horticulture/fruit/Tropical-And-Subtropical-Fruits/Date-Picking-And-Packing.html  
http://patosdategardens.com/Khalals.shtmlP Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: