Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Gilbert's at Grimsdyke Hotel

The public car park overlooking a vista of London is opposite the grand entrance to Grimsdyke hotel, one of my favourite restaurants in the area and the one with the best historic associations. The former home of Gilbert of Gilbert and Sullivan fame offers lunches at a modest price. Unfortunately they seem to have discontinued the loyalty card scheme before I had reached enough stamps on my cards to earn a free meal. Never mind. It's still great value, under £50 for two for lunch in a grand building. I chose to sit by the grand fireplace adorned with funny figures of impish monkeys - maybe. I did not look too closely. For some reason, like a homing pigeon, I veered towards a particular table, probably because that's where I sat last time, tucked in a cosy corner, allowing my companion to sit in the room with a wider view out through the windows to the trees beyond.
My companion was driving and frugally declined drinking alcohol throughout January, recovering from Xmas excess on the five days eating what you like, two days dieting regime. Men have 600 calories on the diet days, women 500, he told me. But he postponed his food diet. 
I indulged in a glass of prosecco at about £6 for 125 ml, quite enough, rather than a larger glass of Champagne or Pino Grigio or rosada. The wine waiter asked if we wanted a bottle of wine. My host declined. The wine waiter whisked away our glasses,  but our waiter kindly said, 'to stop you being bothered later by anybody asking if you want wine'. How tactful, making it sound as he was doing us a favour. 
White rolls and brown arrived in a basket. I chose the brown roll with walnuts and raisins. The rolls were hot, and the butter was salty and tasty.
A jug of water was brought without us needed to ask.
As a starter we both chose the chicken and lentils. Elegantly presented on an oblong plate. The lentils were lightly spiced, very flavourful.
The main course could have been chicken but we'd just had chicken so I opted for duck. It was prettily fanned on the plate. The potato daughinoise was a block like a small brick. Spinach, dark green, and carrots a colourful orange were a pleasing contrast.
My companion's 'sustainable fish' was sea bream. We amused ourselves joking about how long the fish was sustained before reaching our plate. His potatoes were new, which sounded healthy, but turned out to be less healthy looking but more attractive with a sauté or grilled outside.
I especially liked the look of my companion's vegetables,  green beans threaded through a hole in what could have been a short tube of  cucumber or aubergine. I could copy that idea at home for a special occasion, and it would remind me of lunching at Gilbert's restaurant.
I had my leftovers from the main course wrapped up to take away, as we say in England. (If Americans are reading this, you would say wrapped up to go.) My leftovers came back wrapped in tin foil.  I was saving room for dessert.
Desserts were not quite as pretty at the previous courses. An unremarkable rice pudding, and a pleasant creamy lemon syllabub. They could have been improved by a contrasting garnish.
The only improvement I would like to see is the appearance of the staff areas behind the doors off the dining room. Peeling paint on a wall near a staircase alongside the cashier's area by the restaurant's main door did not impress. They must have staff who could fix that at minimal cost.
However, as Shakespeare said, all's well that ends well. My double espresso coffee came in Steelite crockery with a jug of milk and the brown sugar was cubed - so smart. Best of all a good truffle encased in dark chocolate.
    

No comments: