Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wear ski clothes in snow!

First the bad news.
I just read about somebody who died in their car parked outside their own home, where they often went to speak on their mobile phone.
Whether they died of hypothermia, or from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by putting on the heater, my solution is valid. Wear warm clothes whenever you step outside the front door.
An Irish student (Feb 2014) died in London, wearing only a tee-shirt and jeans to a pub, went out for some food, also died.
Now the good news.
You can spend all day on a ski slope in ski clothes. When it's snowy outside, even though I'm nowhere near a ski resort, I wear clothes designed to be worn in snow.
I discovered this trick one year when I was considering taking a walking tour of the East End of London. London has various walking tours, Jack the Ripper, Jewish East end, Shakespeare, Beatles and many more by several companies. I was wondering what to wear, when I remembered that a previous year I'd been at a ski resort in the USA with snow outside up to your knees, temperatures to match, yet managed to survive, physically and mentally. How had I done it? By swearing ski clothes. If only I had them. Glancing at my nearby hall pegs I saw my ski jacket was there. Complete with built in hood, zip up pockets outside for hands or cash or travel cards, inside pockets to keep your cash or credit card or ID safe, big pockets for cameras and water bottles. Everything for the person who wants to walk around in cold weather without lugging a handbag or suitcase on wheels.
So I went off on my walking tour. I thought people would laugh at my garish luminous green and pink ski jacket in grey London. On the contrary, I was greeted by admiring glances. By the end of the tour everybody else was shivering and Americans, wearing thin gloves and macs and coats, complimented me on my foresight and envied my warm ski clothes.

No comments: