Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Harrow School And The Straw Hat


Harrow School at Harrow on the hill is where Winston Churchill went to school, plus a number of other famous people. You can book a tour of the school. I've driven up the hill many times to visit friends who live there, or go to restaurants. On my most recent visit I was lucky enough to see a boy wearing a straw hat, famously part of the school's summer uniform and sold in a local shop. I would have called it a boater. The wikipedia entry for the school says that the hat is erroneously called a boater. But when I went to the article on boaters it mentioned hats worn at Harrow school. 



If you are not lucky enough to time your visit to take a tour or see a boy wearing a boater hat, at least you can be sure of seeing this statue on the wall, day and night, all seasons.


This statue is of Elizabeth I on the south tower. The photo is taken by me.


If you don't wish to stop at a restaurant another option is one of several pubs. The walk or drive downhill through impressively large the trees is very pleasant.


The spire of the hilltop church can be seen from the train to Harrow, even if you are not getting out at Harrow so look out for it.

No comments: