Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Poem on Snow


verse 1296 Snow
by Angela Lansbury

The snow so slowly drifting down
Sways left to right to paint the town
In softest, brightest, lightest white
To silence both day and cold night

You say you like to see the snow
You dream of mountains where you ski
We’ve cancelled all our plans today
Frankly, the news seems bad to me

Snow looks silk-soft, like cotton wool
Until you slip and feel a fool
While kids let out too soon from school
Ignore obvious safety rules

With glee, hurtling at you downhill
As sudden as an avalanche
Uncaring who they hit or kill
I’m cold and cough, it’s flu, I”m ill!

Pneumonia, take bitter pills
The frail, old fall and die from chills
Black ice can’t thrill me any more
I’ve swept up slush, it’s such a chore 

I’ve learned that winter is a pain
I’m off to sunny Singapore
Or Spain and won’t be back again
Until warm sunshine melts this shore

Won’t drive in snow, I’m not that brave
I’d paddle in a teeny wave
And watch froth eddy to and fro
And leave you home - stuck watching snow.

-ends-
copyright Angela Lansbury 2013

No comments: