Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Souvenir Songs on Cities: London, New York, USA, Europe, S America



Here is an update in my ongoing project on Happy travelling and Happy Souvenirs

I looked up souvenir songs to see if I can find something happy. Souvenirs to Souvenirs sung by Demis Roussos is a miserable song about seeing reminders of a lost love. Is it any coincidence that his surname ends SOS! That was how I remembered the spelling of his name. I'll look for some happier songs - to cheer me and you.

I went back to update my earlier post. Re-writing history. You can't do that so easily in Facebook. You can edit and comment. It is much easier to correct errors in a blog post.

However, I'll create a new post on songs, updating through today. You could print this off and add your own as you think of them. (If you work in music or PR and want to mention a song, please email or comment the title, or a youtube clip or even send me a copy).

SONGS ON SOUVENIRS

Years ago, we had holiday films without sound - which was so expensive that the public did not have it. So when showing a slide show or silent movie of holidays we would play a piece of music as accompaniment, turning down the sound for commentary.

These are the songs or snatches of songs which immediately spring to my mind

SONGS ON LONDON, UK, IRELAND, SCOTLAND
LONDON
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner
Gilbert and Sullivan: A policeman's lot is not a happy one
DOVER
Blue skies over the white cliffs of Dover (Vera Lynn)

SCOTLAND
The Campbells are coming, hurrah, hurrah
I'll take the high road - I'll be in Scotland before ye
Auld Lang Syne
Over the sea to Skye

IRELAND
In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty ... Molly Malone
When Irish eyes are smiling

USA
New York, New York ....
If you're going to San Francisco - be sure to wear some flowers in your hair ...- (I was there in the Sixties)
All my exes live in Texas - that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee ...
Galveston Oh Galveston
Disneyland / Disney World- I thought I saw a puddy cat
Take me back to the Black Hills, the Black hills of Dakota ?

Historical Event songs
All the civil war songs:
Steven/Stephen Forster/Al Jolson songs:
Dixie
Mammy

FRANCE
Disney (near Paris) - see USA
The Marseillaise (national anthem)

GERMANY
Deutchland ... über alles

SPAIN
Que Viva Espana

ITALY
All over Italy
Operas:

MEXICO (Must be dozens)

SOUTH AMERICA
Don't cry for me Argentina

NATIVE AMERICAN
Must be several from old films

The Traveller's Song
by Angela Lansbury
copyright 2014

I'm a citizen of the world
FIown blue skies and cruised far and wide
I've souvenirs to excite friends -
Fear not, there's nothing I should hide!
I'm a citizen of he world, the world, the world, the world!

I rode round London on the train
Drove down to the port of Dover
Jet to Asia, safe home again
Marked the map over and over

I caught a ferry to Ostend
Bought chocolates, wine and pretty lace
Spent air miles and cash with old friends
Snapped fashions and smiles every place

Stared up the skyscrapers of New York
Drove peaceful Blue Ridge mountains south
I learned drawl y'all Southerners talk
Showing white teeth in my wide mouth

I flew down to Australia
Saw a crocodile's big teeth smile
Like dark Everglades, Florida -
Once - I didn't stay a long while!

In New Zealand we went skiing
l loved fresh air Lake Tahoe, too
We wear ski hats in London's Spring
We're the warmly-dressed, happy few

I made a 'bunch' of friends world wide
Good friends whose faces I can't forget
'cos every hour they wave to me
Aged photos on the internet!

Now life's jigsaw mystery cities
Tripadvisor soon unravels
We've been there, seen, clicked, ticked them all
The last piece is armchair travels.


Update

Books by Angela Lansbury
How to be the best man. (Ward Lock / Cassell.)
Wedding Speeches and Toasts.(Ward Lock / Cassell.)
Unforgettable British Weekends.
Poetry Workshop Workbook.
The Tailor and the Spy. (Lulu.)
Larry The Talking Labrador. (Lulu.)
Writing Poetry for fun.

Quick Quotations

Who Said What When





No comments: