Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

SoYo Restaurants, So Yummy, such yummy food

I had trouble remembering the name of So Yo restaurant. The server I asked could not tell me the reason for the name. So I made up my own memory aid. So Yummy. SoYo.  

SoYo restaurant may not look anything special from the outside, but the food is so yummy that I can't wait to go back. 

The menu we were offered is replete with choices. Favourites of my three fellow lunch-time diners included Israeli salad, shukla, and Eggs Benedict.

Shukla at So Yo restaurant, Golders Green. Photo by Angela Lansbury.


Fresh Fruit Juices

 I started with a mixed juice, including bananas and two other fruits, based on orange juice. I could have had apple juice. So many options it was hard to choose so I just selected the first in order not to keep my fellow diners waiting.

Main Courses

My eggs Benedict had smoked salmon around a perfectly cooked egg, which was just lightly runny, but hard enough to cut and not run everywhere. 

Bread Choices

The base was my choice from white, brown or granary loaf. I chose granary which was thick and slightly crunch and a good base for the egg yolk. Plus salad.

We were given assorted side dips and when one of my companions asked for vinaigrette to go on her leftover salad, it came up fast. 

Desserts

Our two desserts were a shared crepes Suzette and a cheesecake.

Cheesecake

The cheesecake was neither  a solid baked cheesecake, nor a flabby frozen set white yogurt masquerading as mousse.  It looked like a solid circle of soft cheese with a topping of the finest crumble. The test was the taste. Absolutely more-ish. It was surrounded by fresh blueberries. 

Decor

The decor is unexciting. The exciting thing is the food which is so good that it makes the saliva and the happy conversation flow.

Crepes Suzette

The crepes Suzette had perfect pancakes and a swirl of cream on the side. We could have saved the spare cream to top up our coffee. One of the two satisfied diners pointed out that, strictly speaking, Crepes Suzette should have Grand Marnier. However, that is not possible if the place does not have a liquor license.

The Toilets

The toilets are up a steep flight of stairs with a rail on one side.   

Parking

Watch where you park. We got a parking ticket. The parking sign was low down and obscured by Wheelie bins.

No comments: