Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Reminder Of Some German Words


I have a German language disc and booklet from Earworms. I bought them originally on offer from the Evening Standard. I've added more from Ebay.

 I've tried persuading other members of my family who speak German to speak German at meal times. Unfortunately, I've had no success with this idea.

However, as we drove along the motorway, I managed to get in some vocabulary practise. We reminded each other of all the German words we knew.

Words we use in English such as kindergarten and delicatessen

Kinder - children
garten - garden
essen - eat
tak - thanks
bitte - please
bitte schön - thank you so much or please don't mention it, (literally please beautiful)
schwartz - black
kopf - head
blau - blue
weiss - white
run - green
roth - red, as in Rothschild which is red shield
Mann - man
herr - man or husband
Frau - wife or woman
tochter - daughter (same in German and Yiddish)
Sohn - son
sontag - sunday
auf wiedersehen - goodbye
willkommen - welcome
gut morgen - good morning
nacht - night
schlaf - sleep
kaufen - buy (as in the name Kaufman, buyer or seller or shopkeeper)
schloss - castle
fuss - foot
hund - hound or dog
ja - yes
nein - no
nicht - not
ich bin - I am
ich lieber dich - I love you
l e b e r is live
ich lebe - I live

Numbers
wins - one
zvei - two
drei - three

Foods and drink
sauerkraut - sour cabbage
Rotwein - red wine
Weisswein - white wine
fish - F i s c h
meat - F l e i s c h spellchecker prefers flesh

German uses capital letters for nouns.
In German the verb is at the end of the sentence.

For maps of vineyard locations, go to weinlagen-info.de
www.earwormslearning.com

ANGELA LANSBURY, teacher of English, author, speaker.

No comments: