Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Stress Of Travel And Meeting New People


Santa and a girl. Photo by  Jacob Windham from Wikipedia.
 

A Facebook friend posted a picture of Santa visiting special needs children. She said her beloved child in the photo coped very well. I started thinking about the challenges of meeting new people and people in uniform. As a child, I was nervous of anybody in uniform.

Such as a nun. 

Later I was nervous about approaching and asking directions from an Orthodox Jewish man in a large hat. Was he allowed to shake hands with a woman. Was I permitted to speak?

A man standing on sentry duty with a gun is obviously not there to give directions. When you visit a foreign venue, you can't tell who is who. Don't approach a man with a weapon.

Then I was in the USA in the middle of the mountains and valleys and we were lost. A man on a horse has a gun. My husband tells me to ask the way. I hesitate. "He's got a gun!"

"Never mind that. Who else are we going to ask? We're in the middle of the mountains and we're lost. Ask him!"

But the man tips his hat and says, "Howd'y, M'am." He is as amazed and delighted to meet people all the way from England, with English accents, as we are to met a real cowboy on a real horse with a real big Stetson hat and a real gun. I have the giggles for miles. Even now, years late, I am smiling at the memory.

Later in life I would be nervous about approaching a commissionaire outside a hotel, or even Harrods department store.

Santa Claus Character
Back to the little boy meeting Santa Claus. It's a challenge for Santa Claus too. Being in costume. Acting in character. Never knowing what they will ask or say. Having to be encouraging. Not upsetting the child or the parents. Especially meeting children with special needs.

I wrote:

I am sure they both coped very well. A very interesting thought have have inspired. For a child of any age and ability, even an adult, meeting a person in costume or uniform is a challenge. Meeting Father Christmas is your first Elevator Speech, introducing yourself and having the courage to say what you want. My name is .. and what I would like from you is a gift of ... Everybody is nervous about asking for what they want for birthdays and Christmas. So glad it went well for you all.

What are the lessons to learn?

Get to know the uniforms and customs and greetings of the people who you will meet. Learn their language and the polite forms. I have had to learn not to grasp the shoulder of a man in Hong Kong or Malaysia to show friendliness. They don't like being touched by a strange woman.

Remove shoes at the door. Wear shoes easy to remove. Label your shoes with your name if going to a large party. Or put your shoes in the hotel shower cap.

Learn to say hello, goodbye and thank you. Practise every day for a week before leaving home.

ANGELA LANSBURY, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: