Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, March 21, 2016

Singapore's Lee Kwan Yew remembered with rainbows


The anniversary of the death of Lee Kwan Yew has been marked by islandwide events. The pictures above are from the cover of a book given out at Toa Payoh Community Club.

At the Red Box in Somerset an artwork using flag erasers has created a portrait of Lee Kwan Yew. I read about this in Today newspaper. I was puzzled by a flag eraser. I thought, which part of a flag is the eraser? Then I looked around the internet for flag eraser and found they are used by primary school children.

I remembered how I'd asked for a rubber in a drug store in the USA and been told the shop did not sell them and I should go to a drug store.  Erasers are what the British call rubbers - because they used to be made of rubber, stationery, with the red of the Singapore flag.

If you are ever travelling and in need of an eraser, or as we say in England, a rubber, use a rubber band. Rubber bands are now rarely made of rubber and called an elastic band by Americans. To Americans the the word rubber means what we in England would call a condom. Sorry to bring this into an article on the revered Lee Kwan Yew, but I had to explain about the artwork.

The late Prime Minister's younger brother, Dr Lee Suan Yew, 82, has urged the country to move on and follow Lee Kwan Yew's advice to chase the rainbow.




Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: