Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, October 17, 2016

Starbucks in the station at Baker Street; for quick coffee and souvenirs


Returning from an event at London Business school,after drinks at the crowded The Windsor Castle pub, we were looking for a coffee bar. We ran through the pouring rain and puddles. I wished that London had the covered ways which Raffles built in Singapore.

Dreaming of Covered Ways
Raffles organised the famous (famous in Singapore) five foot ways. I can't remember whether their main purpose was shelter from the sun or rain, probably more from the sun, as in many hot countries, but equally effective in rain.

Dreaming of Colonnades
London is such a rainy city. We should be building colonnades and soft, rubbery or bouncy awnings which could double as safety nets. These barriers protect those underneath from items dropped out of windows. Awnings could help protect flat dwellers and window cleaners or other outside workers from impact falling accidentally, or to escape fire, all the way to the ground or landing on concrete.
Starbucks
(Safety announcement over, let me return to the subject of coffee at the station.) Our last chance for coffee before boarding the train was at the Starbucks inside the station. My first impression was lukewarm, but I gradually warmed to the location.

Seating
My first thought was, no proper tables and seats, no toilets. The latter problem was soon solved. Ladies toilet nearby. Lots of cubicles.

I return. Back to Starbucks. Seating? No comfy sofas. Not the usual creature comforts. Stools at a central island. I have no choice. My two friends are already seated.

My friends are drinking their coffee. Now, what about the coffee?

What kind of coffee? A poster on the wall tells you about the coffees and the history of the company.

Now that my eyes have raised to the story of Starbucks, I look along the wall at the shelves of souvenirs above. I could buy a Starbucks theme mug, or a souvenir of London mug, large or small.

I must have passed through Baker Street station hundreds of times. I know London Transport's Lost and Found up on Baker street, the Sherlock Holmes museum opposite the Lost and Found. The museum has a shop with souvenirs of Sherlock and London. I know the statue of Sherlock Holmes outside the other station entrance, and Madame Tussauds and The Planetarium. I have passed the souvenir shop upstairs near the Sherlock Holmes statue. I didn't know the station, toilets, the Starbucks coffee shop or the Starbucks souvenirs.

If you are passing through London, and don't want to spend time, because you are catching the train on to home or Heathrow, a handy stop.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author, English tutor and speaker.

No comments: