Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Essex Arms, an Ember Inn, Watford - all great, except the spicy tomato juice


Everything about The Ember Inn was great - except for the spicy tomato juice.

Tomato Juice
The tomato juice I was given, brand name Tom, was spicy. I have an intolerance of spicy food. I had it by mistake, having told a friend who was ordering that I didn't want spicy in my tomato juice.

My reaction got worse and worse - I thought I was going to have a serious reaction.

When I went to the bar to ask if they could change it for non spicy, they had no alternative. I had chosen a tomato juice because I thought it was the drink most likely to be free of spices and sugars and additives. I was not pleased.

I think pubs and restaurants should stock a non-spicy tomato juice. And a juice with no additives. Large numbers of people who eat out are retired and so a proportion of them will have an intolerance of spicy food.

I used to avoid eating at Indian restaurants and places which served seafood. I realised that I was also avoiding places where I had had a bad experience, even though I did not make a conscious decision to reject them. I opted to eat or drink somewhere else.

Once Bitten, Twice Shy
Much later, I told somebody the history of my experience at a particular restaurant. I remembered one bad incident. I carried on with my account, but found the same story reappearing in my mind. I then realise that I had been subconsciously heavily influenced by one half-forgotten event.

Menus and Tables
I had looked up their menu on line in advance. A group of eight of us sat around a long table made of two tables for four pushed together. We had a lovely secluded area where nobody else disturbed us and we did not disturb them.

Chicken
I ordered a chicken option. I had a choice of three types of chicken, one with rice, one with chips, but the diet police in my family ordered my chicken with salad instead.

I did try a couple of chips from other people, which I exchanged for my battered onion rings, also not on my diet. For the benefit of American readers, what we in the UK call chips are chips as in fish and chips, large, fat French fries.

Others had ordered the ribs. They had a large portion of ribs on a large plate.

Breakfast
If you can arrive before noon you might be able to enjoy the breakfast platter. Four of us chose that before we realised that it was not available at lunch time.

On the bar in or by a goldfish bowl you will find cards which ask you for your feedback online. If you give them feedback within three days of a visit you are likely to win something for your next visit.
tellus.emberinns.co.uk

The Essex Arms, Langley Way, Watford
WD17 3EG
Tel: +44 (0)1023218031

www.emberinns.co.uk
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: