Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

How to find lost pens, and label your own


My good friend and president of a club lost a pen at a club meeting. At least ten of us went hunting. It was a valuable pen. A Waterman.
A waterman pen.

Other valuable pens include Parker pens (£60 upwards), Mont Blanc pens with a white star shape cap like the snow-capped top of Mont Blanc (about £300), any pen which you care about.

Here's where our lost and found searches went:

I  checked
every pocket of my coat jacket inside and out, all my pockets in my vest emptied out, turned my bucket bag onto the floor, and shook out the books and manuals, and inspected my pens now on my kitchen table/desk which say Angela Lansbury or Writers Holiday or hotel names or are very cheap.

.... The rest of the post is on my new blog How to get out of the mess you're in, which is the title of one of my books.

How to Always Have a Pen
1 Buy a jacket with a vertical slit for a pen beside the top pocket over the side by your left arm.
Make sure the pocket is sturdy so the pointed pen does not drill a hole. Wear dark blue if carrying a blue pen, and make sure the point is either retreated or covered.
2 Wear a pen on a thread.
3 Attach a pen to a long necklace or lanyard.

Make a holder for a mobile phone and a pen. (Any large fabric pocket on a ribbon with a vertical line of stitching or even safety pins to separate the phone and the pen. When looking for either your phone or the pen use find my phone or a keychain finder.

As for sets of pens and pencils with your name for birthday, Xmas, wishlist, club gift, anniversary.

You can quickly see if somebody has taken your pen, or you have left it behind on a table or desk. Nobody can say, 'you've got my pen' and throw you into a panic. If it's got your name on it, it's yours, and if it hasn't it is theirs and you can courteously hand it back.

Get pens for your business and write the cost off against tax as stationery. If you lose them, it's advertising. Make sure your phone number or website are on the pen. If space allows, write on the pen or add a sticker saying: 'With compliments from ...' or 'Return to .... Thank you.'

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: