Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Living Abroad or Holidaying - shopping cheap and quick

Would you believe it - you can shop from John Lewis in the UK anywhere in the world, for about £10 delivery charge on those items which say available for international shipping. I had looked for John Lewis and the system saw my computer was logging on from overseas and up popped sg.johnlewis, but when I hunted for the store no such place existed in Singapore, it was all online.

I was looking for heatproof table mats. You arrive in your second home or rented apartment and suddenly decide you must have some item you have six of at home like coasters and table mats. The trick to searching online is to know what terms to use.

Here's what I discovered:



DAESO
Japanese company, selling items for only two dollars (Singapore dollars) found all over the world:
China, Japan, HK, Macau. Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand.
I went to the branch in the centre of Singapore on basement 4 B4 at Ion, Singapore's equivalent of Piccadilly Circus. For two Singapore dollars I could buy
Bookends (I think it was for one bookend, so $4 for the pair, but still a great price;

At the sales desk I found the cashiers accepted only cash or NETS which is the local debit card.  They had the items I'd been looking for: pads to go under furniture so it doesn't scratch the floors, zips to make my jacket pockets more secure, hangers, floor mops.

UK
In the UK Poundland (Harrow and elsewhere) now take credit cards. (So does Primark, selling cheap clothing store, which usually has gloves and socks for £1, t-shirts and vests for about £5 upwards, often a rummage box of flip flops for £1 or £2, and a sale rail or bargains.

Singapore
DAESO
fishpond.com.sg (free shipping worldwide)
Mustafa Centre (huge 24 hour store) online I couldn't even check the MRT (nearest train station or bus), but I could read about the company.
Qoolo
Spotlight

UK
99p stores
BHS
Poundland
Pound stretcher
Poundworld
Primark
Online:
Amazon free shipping if you join Prime; Ebay (prices and shipping vary; lots of clothes and products from China offering free shipping); Etsy (USA and worldwide; prices and shipping varies).

USA & Canada
Dollar Tree
Dollar Stretcher
Etsy

Australia
Daiso

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.


No comments: