Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Watch out for pickpockets during Chinese New Year in Chinatown

If you were thinking of going to watch events and mingling with the crowds in Chinatown in Singapore during Chinese New Year, leave your credit cards, money and valuable at home, warns a long-term resident. She says Chinese New Year brings out the pickpockets. Just carry enough cash to buy some food and get a taxi home and keep your money in a hidden inside pocket.

The police do their best but they can't be everywhere and the crowding means you can't see what's going on or who has taken your valuables or when. In the centre along the malls in Orchard Road you can expect to be on CCTV. (All the same, I've had friends lose a bag in a shop in a shopping mall, or in a queue at the airport.

'In Orchard Road,' she told me, 'if you scream, a Policeman will come running.' But in a crowd in Chinatown, no chance.

(Orchard Road is the main shopping area in the centre of the city, reached by Orchard MRT or station stop. Chinatown is a station further down the line.)

I remember seeing a video, repeating the message: Low crime doesn't mean no crime.

I had my entire bag snatched from my shoulder as I got off a bus outside a hawker centre. I lost my British passport, my money and my mobile phone.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: