Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Buying second hand shoes - what to watch for

Problems
Shoes are expensive. It's hard to get special sizes, or out of season shoes when you are travelling to a country where the seasons are reversed. You might only wear special shoes such as hiking, skiing or walking shoes, or wedding shoes, for one day or for one week a year. When buying second hand, what need you look for? What could go wrong? What could go right!

Size
I buy sandals with touch and close so they will fit any width of foot, and feet swelling in hot waether or on airplanes. I like shoes which can be removed fast through security in aiports. I just look at laces and think - that won't do when I am flying. by car, it would be fine.

If in doubt, I do a search for shoes a size larger. I can always wear socks. If you wish to show off your anil varnish in open toed shoes, you might not want a larger size which looks clumsy. If all else fails, buy two sizes of a discontinued line going cheap. I often find one fits now.

The pair you abandoned because it was ok but not as good, comes in handy as a spare if you have a second home. Or if you wear out the first pair and can't find that style again, wear it without socks or with double socks.

My feet have grown larger. I have grown older. I have put on weight. So shoes which seemed too large when I bought them are now just right.

Cost
I like to compare the cost of a second hand shoe with the nearest comparable new shoe. Some of the sellers on ebay have ends of lines which are last season's style, boxed or unboxed. They might be tried on in the shop. Or they might be completely new, with intact heels, which is better than a second hand shoe worn down at one side. If I see one, I make a low bid. I look at the new price and might bid up.

Sometimes I lose, sometimes I win. If you are buying for a holiday, allow for bidding time and postage time. If you are going on holiday, those beach shoes or hiking boots or grip heel shoes for walking on ice or waterproof boots for the snow might be time critical. Mostly, it doesn't matter.

Answers
Cleanliness
First, if you are not wearing socks or stockings and are afraid of catching something such as verrucas or athletes foot, you might want to use some insoles or socks.

Secondly, some shoes can be washed, outside or in. I like to wash or wife the soles of shoes, and pack them inside a bag of some sort when going on a trip whether they are inside a suitacse, a backpack or rolling around in the car. Even if they are clean when they arrive, they might be dirty after you have worn them on holiday.

If you can't wash the whole shoe, you might use a wet wipe. New shoes should be clean, but maybe dusty. But new shoes could be tried on in a shop, ex-display.

Down At Heel
Repairing heels is expensive. Some shoes cannot be heeled because the rubbery heels are moulded on. Shoes worn to one side look shabby and might strain your body or feet. Often the photos show the top and hide the part I really want to see - the back of the heel. Sometimes I look at the lopsided heel at the back and I think - 'only worn once', they must have worn them on a round the world walk!

Elastic
If you get the second life of garments and shoes you are getting the end of life of the elastic. This good be good - not so tight and stiff. Or it could be bad, so loose that shoes don't grip and heels slide off as lift your foot at the back as you walk. You have to flex your toes to keep the shoes on which could lead to or aggravate hammer toes.

Success
I work on the principle that if I buy three cheap pairs of shoes on e-bay, one pair might be a disappointment, one OK around the house, worthwhile for a few wears, and the third a pleasant surprise, an increasing delight.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer, photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.



No comments: