Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, April 29, 2018

What's the difference between Wikitravel and Wikivoyage?



Problem
The two sites seem to overlap. What's the difference?
Essentially, Wikitravel was started first. It was bought by a company which added advertising. (Seems to me a bit like TripAdvisor.)

Some of the original people left and started Wikivoyage which has no advertising. Some of the original Wikitravel articles were copied to Wikivoyage. Wikivoyage now has extra material from their contributors.

I have tried to simplify the story. In case I have got this wrong, or you want more detail, check out my source:

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:Wikivoyage_and_Wikitravel

Now, if I want to add material to Wikitravel or to Wikivoyage, I can take these factors into consideration.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: