Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Have you ever been in the wrong place, on the wrong day, or at the wrong time?



 Have you ever turned up at a meeting the wrong day or time? Or turned up at the wrong meeting?

Wrong Coach In China

In China our tour bus had a sign in Chinese. How to remember which vehicle. there were only two or three large coaches. I remembered my coach. Near the car park entrance, decor like a smiely face.

When I returned, late, there were dozens of buses, and one, with a smiley face, was revving it engine about to go. I raced up and waved and tey opened the door and let me on. Relief!




However, I soon discovered I had got on the wrong coach. As we pulled out of the car park, the guide began speaking in German. I asked the guide, who was speaking German, to give me the English translation. He replied, in German, but this is a German group! I shoulted, "Stop the coach. Take me back!"

That was a long time ago. I would not make that mistake now. I photograph the coach numberplate. I take the mobile phone number of the guide - and driver. Even if he does not speak English, he can hand his phone to the tour guide. It is not good enough having just the guide's number. He might get off at lunch time and be replaced by somebody new.

Wrong Zoom Meeting

It is enough to make you want to stay home and just travel on the internet. However, even on Zoom, mistakes can occur. Yesterday I joined the wrong Zoom meeting. 

How did it happen? I had just finished the registration, when the message popped up on my screen from Whatsapp, 'Meeting on now. Clock here!' So I clicked.

 I spent two hours on a zoom meeting with a lot of strangers in another country. I was in the breakout group. And on the group photo. 

I only realised what had happened, next day, when the meeting I should have attended did not have my photo amongst the others in the large group.

A multi-person Zoom toastmasters meeting.

What is the moral? Check the date. Check the time. Check the login. Have the number of the organizer. Arrive early. Set your mobile phone's alarm.

Useful Websites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_taxi

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: