Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Romania - a remote, rural guesthouse retreat, owned by King Charles III

King Charles 3 owns a guesthouse in Romania where you can stay.

King Charles 3, official portrait (From Wikipedia.)

I have visited Romania. Romantic Romania.
Where is it? A quick reminder.




This map from Wikivoyage is the clearest and most useful.

 I found a booking form on Facebook. It asks you to pick a date before telling you the prices. A bit of sleathig around revealed an article in the New York Times and several more.

I have been to Romania, which I liked, I hiked. Although I am not keen on the bears.  Whilst I was in the country hiking with a group, the local radio stations and newspapers were reporting sightings of bears by or near tourists.



You could say the same about parts of the USA and Canada. Lovely forested places have dangerous bears. Even a friendly bear would not appeal to me.

My husband and I started in the capital city, which was where we flew in.

We then went to our groups' hiking base, in the city of Brasov. We did a walking tour of the city, passing an old synagogue. Then an afternoon trip to Dracula's castle, Bram castle.  Not remote. Surrounded by souvenir shops, restaurants, snack bars and cafes.

Off for the hiking, well signposted, but you need an umbrella because we found no toilets, except at a hotel bar at the start of one of the trails. 

Then we hired a car and drove around some of the painted monasteries.

But if you like remote wilderness, there's now the Charles III guesthouse option.The royals do like palaces and places in surroundings which are spartan and centuries old. Why? I suppose they spend so much time with crowds. And their status comes from their heritage.

I like remote places, fresh air, far vistas, natures. But I like to alternate it with civilization.

USA Mountains

If looking at this gets you wishing for something nearer home, and you are in the USA, I liked America's Blue Ridge mountain trail along the east coast. If you got tired, and wanted toiets or dinner, you drove downhill and trhere were all the joys of city and civilisation.

I also liked Lake Tahoe.

Canada

I loved Canada's Chateau Lake Louise, and Banff. Maountains all around. Reflected in lakes.

For me it's a great pleasure just to look at the remote idylls. Online. Charles 3's guesthouse, along with ice hotels, is on my maybe list.

Useful Websites

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/article/prince-charles-romania-house-transylvania

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/01/business/king-charles-romania-guest-house.html

https://www.facebook.com/zalan.transylvaniancastle/

https://zalan.transylvaniancastle.com/?fbclid=IwAR2-PwgpIDqYLZY47_T4CcDUhJWcFRQh8qbxLls9HK2ipxntxa0WIX9xYsM

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania

Please share links to your favourite posts


No comments: