Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Blog readers and readership at different times of day

I aim to write a blog post first thing in the morning. If I write late at night and have already reached my target (50 more readers than this time last year), I schedule the post to appear tomorrow.

Jeremy Jacobs (great alliterative name) who at one time was the most widely read blogger (probably still is) gave me two pieces of u s e f u l advice. (Predictive text turned the word with spaces into usual, presumably a more usual word.)

1 Affiliate your blog to others to get reciprocal readership.
2 Write seven blogs on Sunday and schedule them to appear through the week so you never risk missing a day because you are away. This timing leaves you free to go out to work during the week and not delayed writing blog posts.

How to Schedule
What does schedule mean? It means in this context, delay publication of your post to a later date, and time.

It was a while before I discovered the 'schedule' word to click on brings up a calendar. Unfortunately the timing never seems to match where I am writing as I move around the world. In case you don't know and are writing a blog post, on the right hand side of your screen in the column under Settings, second down is the word schedule and a little clock. Click on this and up comes the calendar.

Seasonal Posts
If I find or take a photo of hearts, I can save that for a post scheduled for publication on Valentine's Day, Feb 14, this year or next. The same applies to Christmas. And any other article which can relate to a seasonal event. I might read that a recipe was used for an ethnic festival. Not of any great interest today, but a nice seasonal post on the day of that festival, especially if I visit that continent at the right time of year.

Where Are Readers
I avidly the place and number of readers, and compare posts. Are more people interested in Asia or in America? Do seasonal posts get more clicks? Yes. Does a new restaurant get more interest than a re-visit to an old one? Yes.

I noticed I have more readers in the USA. That may be because I am writing in English so the English speaking countries will provide more potential readers. Also more Americans than people in other countries.

Sometimes I have the illusion that I have huge numbers of readers in the morning. On reflection, I see that I have posted at 1 am English time and the Americans are awake but the Asians are asleep.

My son works in marketing and tell me I would get more readers if I angled my blog very specifically, for example, bargains, luxury, weird and wonderful.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: