Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, February 15, 2016

Update on Packing For and from Singapore, For and From UK

Tiger Balm
Marianna says on my Facebook post:
'We can now get Tiger Balm in the UK from Boots stores, but it doesn't seem as "strong" as the Far East version.'

Tiger Balm - from Singapore Tiger Balm reminds me of other products. It does seem to resemble Vicks Vapour rub. Very effective for clearing your nose when you have a cold.

Sudocrem Sudocrem - from UK From the UK I take a small pot of Sudocrem antiseptic healing ointment. The magic ingredient is zinc. You may be able to find local equivalents in countries such as India and the Philippines, but without knowing the local brand name, it's hard to make yourself understood.

Zinc Ointment You can buy zinc ointment overseas. Try photographing the label to show a pharmacist. If you encounter a language barrier, it's much quicker to show the UK label, or just take a small size pot with you.

Photograph Pill Packaging
Also take a photo of the packet of all your medications. That is easier to explain, if you need extras when you extend your stay, if your luggage is lost, if you forgot to pack your medication, or you need to explain pills when stopped at security. 

Oops - you have pills lasting until your last day, Saturday, but you arrive at your destination on Sunday. (When pharmacies in the UK are closed.) 

On one trip, I was sent to the drug store at Changi Airport. I had extended my stay an extra day for a Saturday night party. I had one extra pill but would be without a pill next morning. I did not want to arrive jet-lagged without a pill. What if the flight was delayed? 

How big is the pill?
I had carried my pills in a plastic dispenser marked with days of the week. I was asked whether I wanted 50 or 100 mg pills. I knew the pill size, but what is inside the packet? The kind pharmacist allowed me to open it, but each pill was sealed behind foil. 

A copy of your description, or the outside of your pill packet, tells you the answer.

Angela Lansbury

No comments: