Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Easy listening and comfort on AIrplanes

On the plane if you are getting no sound at all, check your headphones with the neighbouring passenger's system to see if the fault is the headphones. If not, call over the flight attendant to help as soon as possible. Sometimes all they need to do is to go and get the system re-set. You than wait a couple of minutes and you are back to normal.

Movie Sound or Sound Alone?
At first the sound on the movies was so poor that I could not get interested in any of the movie trailers and turned to Audio. The Country and Western channel was gone, much to my disappointment. Then I flipped through the other offerings of best of and so on and found a set of songs by Johnny Cash. That kept me busy with music alone. After my meal I wandered off to find my friend and ask what they were watching.

Must Watch Film Choices.
I have watched some wonderful films on WWII, concentration camps during the Holocaust, even though they included harrowing scenes.

Everest
However, I did not want to watch what I considered a depressing film about dying on Everest. On planes I prefer not to watch films about disasters. Although I happily watched one of the three version of Titanic on a cruise ship.

Wine Film
So I considered my friend's recommendation of a film on Wine production in France, business success and romance sounded good - my second choice. Premier Crus was the film's name. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to see it on another trip. If not, I shall read about it in Wikipedia.

I suddenly realised that my friend's other recommendation, s film about Steve jobs was about the inventor of the fore-runners of the iPhone and MacBook and I was very interested.

I had dreadful background noise on the video I watched of Steve Jobs of Apple. The film (I suppose I should call it a movie because it was set in America) was largely dependent upon the conversation, which made the sound problem extra irritating. Annoying background noise intruding. Snatches of conversation making no sense.

Afterwards another passenger who watched the same film told me the problem was not the film but the plane's audio. The other person watching the same film heard the sound perfectly on special noise-cancelling headphone he had bought and brought along.

The latest earpieces on Singapore airlines were just that, little ear pieces instead of the arches which go over your head. My friend thought that the new system caused declining quality of sound. I must admit I never liked the arched headphones which used to press on my head or slide off.

However, I am now wondering about investing in headphones. But they are just one more thing to have to carry and worry about breaking or losing, or leaving them in the bag in the overhead locker so more jumping up and down. Maybe not.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, speaker and author.  

No comments: