Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, August 1, 2016

Why does my blog have so many Russian fans rushing to read me?

I now have more readers in Russian than readers from elsewhere. It's not a gradual jump, but a sudden jump.

American Admirers
I used to have more American readers than British reasons. At first I was puzzled. I asked a statistician in my family. He said that American has a larger population, and a larger number of English speaking readers using the internet. The Americans astonish the sensitive British by gleefully making references to the Boston tea party. I never learned about this at school in England. I learned it when I went to America.

That is the joy of travel, and nowadays we can travel anywhere, see the sights and learn the history, just be using the internet. You may recall (or research) that the Boston Tea Party was when the Americans' ancestors threw tea overboard in protest against tax on tea levied by the British government of those days. This event sparked off the American Declaration of Independence).

Many Americans' ancestors arrived in America after those days. Many British visitors to the USA also have ancestors who arrived in Britain after the days of the Boston tea party. So this game of my ancestors are better than your ancestors soon gets dropped as a mere joke, The Americans are actually very keen on all thing British.  When they take a trip to Europe, at least they can speak English in England.

As a result I tried putting in more references to when I lived in the USA in Rockville, Maryland, and places I had visited. I thought that would attract even more Americans, give them what they wanted.

Sparse Singaporean Readers
However, when I wrote about Singapore I did not attract many more readers in Singapore. However I got more readers from Russian and China, presumably planning to visit Singapore.

German Readers and Travellers
However, the next strange thing is that until last month, the third greatest number of readers came not from another English speaking country such as Australia or New Zealand or South Africa, but from Germany. Is that because the greater number of tourists to London are from Germany, or English speaking Americans on bases in Germany, planning to spend weekends in London.

Russians Rushing in
Suddenly I get a spike in Russians. I recall writing a blog post about buying Russian/English letters on my laptop keyboard.

Mostly I write about places I have been to, places I plan to visit, language learning and other travel related topics.

I would be delighted to hear why Russian readers are rushing to read my blog. Please write if there is any topic you would like me to cover.


Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
See more about me on Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube (type in author or poet after my name or tok for my photo). My books are on Amazon and Lulu.com



No comments: