Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Highlights Of A Travelling Writer's Year: Books and Songwriting

The highlight of my year was getting delivery of my paperback novel from Lulu.com an hour before I set off for Swanwick Writers' Summer School.

Plate Racks
Another great discovery was that plate racks can be used to display books (and greetings cards). I bought some plate racks from British Home Stores in Watford, when the store had a closing down sale. Friends told me that you can buy lovely white ones from Wilko. I didn't see them at Wilko in Watford. Maybe you can get them on line or from other branches as well as other department stores.

At Swanwick I was given a foil star to wear on my badge. This was awarded to me by Alison Chisholm, poetry teacher, as a reward for stopping to talk to her. She and a couple of other people were giving out stars as a reward for friendliness.

Songwriting Course
Another highlight was the songwriting course. During one session we learned ways of writing to an existing (out of copyright) tune, keeping no more than the first two notes for inspiration, then changing a few notes, for example, going up instead of down.

Songwriting Books
We looked at the structure of songs. I took pictures of the covers of a couple of books. That way I am sure to remember them, rather than losing my notes in poor handwriting.

DIY Songs
In a second songwriting session we all wrote songs and commented on each other's songs. Several people sang their songs or accompanied themselves on a guitar. I was able to say that I could not yet sing nor play the guitar and wanted a composer and an existing friend put their hand up and offered to pair up.

Photos of Handwritten Notes
I did the same camera copy trick as before. I photographed my handwritten copy of my song for them to try writing music, so I still had my original copy.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: