Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Learning Portuguese For The Olympics

One of the pieces of advice given to participants and spectators of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is to learn Portuguese in case you need to be admitted to hospital.

I have started learning several languages on Duolingo. I was learning Spanish and Italian and thought Portuguese was an unnecessary complication. Now I'm thinking of learning some Portuguese.

These are the phrases I shall research:

1 English
Hello
My name is
I am ill.
Please call a doctor.
I need a doctor.

Portuguese
Olá
Meu nome é
Estou doente.
Por favor, chame um médico.
Eu preciso de um doutor.

2 English
I need an ambulance.
I need a hospital.
I need a pharmacy.
Do you have a dictionary?
Do you have the address?

Preciso de uma ambulância.
Eu preciso de um hospital.
Eu preciso de uma farmácia.
Você tem um dicionário?
Você tem o endereço?

***
3 English
Do you have the name?
Do you have the phone number?
I need a taxi.
It hurts here.
I need medicine.

Portuguese
Você tem o nome?
Você tem o número de telefone?
Eu preciso de um taxi.
Dói aqui.
Preciso de medicina.

4 English
Where is the hospital?
Where is the doctor?
I am tired.
I am thirsty.
I am hungry.

Portuguese
Onde fica o hospital?
Onde está o médico?
Estou cansado.
Estou morrendo de sede.
Eu estou com fome.

***
These are my translations using Google translate. I suggest that when you are in a Portuguese speaking country, you ask somebody to give an accurate translation of what what be said in your locality, whether Portugal or Brazil or elsewhere, to pick up local vocabulary as well as pronunciation.

If you want to discuss language online, you can join a forum for the language you are learning in Duolingo.



Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: