Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Buying Bargains Worldwide - especially tee shirts, flags and landmarks.

 Many countries have local specialities you can buy easily from kiosks in tourist spots. You often see t-shirts with the national flag.

Albania



 In Albania I bought a cross body bag which was light weight and woven.

You can also buy lots of items with the national flag.

If you are not travelling, two of the big online websites from China are Shein and Temu.

In the UK even the post boxes (Americans call them mail boxes) wear fancy, seasonal hats.

 In the UK we have Ebay online.

Bargains can by bought in charity shops. Well known companies include Barnardoes, Oxfam, St Lukes (in London).


This is a t-shirt with tower bridge in playing cards which I bought online in early 2923

USA

The USA has thrift stores, Dollar stores, Goodwill. 

Online you have EBay and Etsy, Amazon and many more.

Most websites have a sales page, and an offer of discounts if you give them your email.

Shopping In Your Spare Room

Another way to shop without travelling is to shop in your own cupboards for those old beach bags and souvenir tee-shirt which you bought on holiday and never wore. With global warming, you have an opportunity to wear summer clothes and beach clothes in the city without looking out of place.

 In the good old days people used to store their winter clothes in a suitcase in the loft or attic in winter. The reverse took place in summer. Nowadays we recycle and collect clutter. Only a quarter of UK garages are used to store cars. Now cars are left in the front forecourt, and garages are used for storage, clothes, accessories, bric a brac.

You need t keep moving clothes. Why? To be sure that moths get disturbed. Also so that the clothes do not get mouldy from damp.

I try not to go shopping for food. I postpone my trips to Tesco supermarket because it is right near a charity shop. 

Every time that I look in the spare room, I found a new outfit which I have not seen or worn for years. Often great colours and styles. Better suited to me than most of all of the items in the shops.

I won't say that everything fits. I have had to re-label some drawers. Move too small or too large clothes into a different area. Or start alterations.

I recently gave a speech in which I said that I liked to go shopping in my own wardrobe, in order to recycle, re-wear clothes. even Kate Middleton is making this fashionable and acceptable. You don't have to wear a whole new outfit. You can ring the changes by altering the hat, shoes and belt or gloves or scarf.

Instead of going shopping, shop in your own wardrobe. (Americans would say closet. They have larger homes, which often have walk in closets, small rooms, without windows, storage rooms, kitted out with clothes rails under a shelf for hats and shoe boxes, scarf boxes, what you will.

Please share links to your favourite blogs and blog posts. I have other blogs on travel with angelalansbury.blogspot.com and dressofthedayangela.blogspot.com

No comments: