Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Find First Class Friendly Service And Experience On Airlines - or copy and create it

Heathrow goodbye. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Your Memorable Names

When I was a frequent flyer, before Covid, I used to get welcomed aboard by staff who said my name.

A polite way to ask somebody's name is to ask, "How may I address you?" 

If the person beside you does not speak good English, you could show them your name on a conference badge, or give them a shortened nickname. If they look doubtful, puzzled, repeat your name.

Crease-free Clothes

When I reached my seat, the chief steward or other nearby member of staff asked if I wanted to take off my jacket. They offered to hang up my jacket. Sometimes you can ask staff to hang up your jacket. The put your boarding pass in the jacket pocket or on the hanger so that when they want to return it, they can find you.

Stowing Luggage

They helped stow my luggage in the overhead compartment. 

They offered me a pillow, and a blankets.

I remember a line from a film (Americans say movie) Gosfroth Park, which I watched on a flight. The chief housekeeper said, "My job is to prepare what the visitors may need or want, even before they have thought of it themselves." 

They always had a pen and paper to lend or give me when I needed one. When asked, they could point to the nearest exit to my row of seats, and the locations of toilets in front of and behind my row.

Chocolates

My husband travels with a couple of chocolates in his luggage. After a meal he finds me, if the seating has separated us, and gives me a chocolate. A wrapped chocolate? Less likely to melt over your hands and pocket. More likely to be saved and eaten discreetly so as not to excite desire or jealousy in others. But 

If you eat very quietly when others are asleep, they are less likely to notice. Rattling paper might annoy them.

If you have lots of food, in small pieces, it might be polite to share. The other person might decline. They might be vegetarian, or not hungry, or paranoid about being poisoned, or not want to eat your food and deprive you of it. I always think offering shows goodwill. You stop wondering if the other person is sitting there wanting it. If they say, "Thanks, but I don't eat ...," I feel that I have established goodwill, started a friendly conversation. I can relax. They can convince themselves that they don't need my food.

What can you do to help yourself on a flight? Or to help others.  

 If you are in an economy seat, never mind. That means you have people next to you to help you, or people you can help.

I have just ordered a tee-shirt which says, 'I am an author, ask me about my books'. I like souvenirs of what I enjoyed about the journey, and try to copy it. I used to be a higher grade of frequent flyer, before Covid. The staff on the airline would welcome me aboard, using my name. After you have smiled and said hello to the people next to you, you will feel less awkward about asking them to stand up. When they go to the toilet, I go after them. 

If you are in an economy seat, never mind. That means you have people next to you to help you, or people you can help.

I have just ordered a tee-shirt which says, 'I am an author, ask me about my books'. I like souvenirs of what I enjoyed about the journey, and try to copy it. I used to be a higher grade of frequent flyer, before Covid. The staff on the airline would welcome me aboard, using my name. After you have smiled and said hello to the people next to you, you will feel less awkward about asking them to stand up. When they go to the toilet, I go after them. 

If I am in first, and put some items on the middle seat, I say, "This is our seat to share. Shall I move my things back to my half so you can use your half?"

Usually, they smile and say, "No, that's fine, leave your stuff there. I don't need it.

To help getting out, you can lift up the armrest on the aisle seat. There is a button hidden under the arm rest somewhere. If you cannot feel it, squat in the aisle when nobody is using the aisle and look for the button, convex, bulging out. On my last flight the button was not underneath. Neither I nor the person across the aisle from me could find it. Then I had a look. It was right at the back, where the underneath of the arm curves upwards. Sorted!

If you chat at the start, but want to sleep, you can inform the other person and still seem friendly. For example, on my last flight, the passenger in the window seat told me, "As soon as we are allowed to, I shall put my seat back and try to sleep. This is my second flight. I started in Australia. We've already been travelling seven hours!"

If you are in the aisle seat and want to shut eyes, and sleep, you might first ask the person in the middle seat if they need to get out to the toilet. (The British say Toilet. It is also called a rest room, as some Americans might say). 

My extended family's flight packing lists include;

1 Folding walking sticks. Wheels for luggage. Straps to keep a handbag (Americans say purse) fixed on top of a wheel on bag. 

2 Emergency or fun food and drink and containers. A plastic stemmed glass (in a solid cardboard container) for drinking Champagne, Prosecco, other sparkling or chilled white wine, a Platypus for storing wine, or water. 

3 Travel Clothes. A light, large scarf. A waterproof quick zip off jacket with secure pockets inside and out. A pocket large enough for my passport, credit card and money so they stay safely with me when I go to the toilet or if I had to evacuate a plane or building. Quick release sandals for security. (I don't wear heels because they are not suitable for plane travel. If I did wear heels, I would keep flat shoes for the plane, and a bag for my shoes, with a ribbon to attach the shoes to other luggage so the shoes never get left behind.)

4 A colour stick on all six sides of a suitcase, especially if it is black, to identify it quickly from a distance. A photo on my mobile phone of my wheel on bag. (So I can spot it quickly on a carousel 

Please share links to your favourite posts.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer, public speaker, blogger, author.



No comments: