Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, June 2, 2014

City Tours Including Factory Tours+Museums & Customised Tours - how to see what you want

When my family first went to European countries such as Spain we were taken on tours which often stopped at a nearby leather/shoe factory or warehouse and we were very pleased to browse and buy local shoes, more variety, different styles and cheaper prices than home, handy as you always seem to need more shoes than you packed on holiday. But later, in Spain, India, or other countries, after many more tours, we occasionally found that we were taken to an unscheduled stop. The factor and/or factory shop where the guide was taking us was where he or she was getting a commission or kickback. Prices were higher - sometimes because that covered the guide's commission. Sometimes it was the high price venue which found it worthwhile to tempt the guide. The guide might even offer us the option - do you want to see a shoe factory? Or a choice - do you want to see the clothing store or the jewellery factor? Or another choice, the museum as listed on your brochure - or the factory store instead?

   When are you getting a good deal? When are you being cheated? How do you get an extra visit if you want one? What are your choices? How do you refuse politely or beg for an unscheduled stop?

My worst experiences:
 1 No time for my shopping
    Scheduled factory tour of jewellery factory in China where I want to buy a ring. On the way in we pass the shop and I want to stop but I'm told we can shop at the end and must take the factory tour first and I must stay with the guide or I'll lose the way. We have to wait for the English speaking guide (on another tour, or called from the office. The detailed tour and qquestions take so long that our tour bus guide tells us to get back on the bus and I've no time for shopping in the reduced price big choice factory shop. I ask to go back, but the shop is the other end for he factory as the bus has moved from car park A to car park B.
   I am first back on the bus and make a huge fuss.  I know exactly what I want, red and green ring. I have cash ready. The tour guide reluctantly agrees to run me back tot he shop and onto the bus while we wait for everybody to come out of the toilets and get on the bus. (I have to use a bus toilet, or wait, but my shopping is top priority.)
   The next story is the reverse. Too much time for shopping, not enough for the museum.

2     No time for our museum - other's long stopping for shopping
China again - Shanghai, shared tour with another English speaking lady. I want to see a museum, or at least the home of somebody famous to write an article. I am told we will do that last, as its on a circuit. All day I see things I don't want to see. Finally, last but one stop. We stop at a jewellery store.  My new English friend spends well over half an hour, she wants to decide on spending several hundred pounds/dollars on a set of jewellery.  The tour guide (either on commission, or needs to keep in with both the store and the other passenger) tells me there's no time for my stop.
    We can't do my museum stop because: the driver is paid only until five pm, my new 'friend' wants to be home for supper to meet her husband after work. She is booked on the evening tour. The bus is needed for the evening tour. Heavy end of day traffic has already started so we are already late and stuck in traffic.
   The other passenger wonders why I no longer want to email her, meet her in London reliving fond memories of our tour.

3 Extra Shopping Stops for me - No time for my VIP Museum(s)
   Finally, my third story where I am a lone passenger with a taxi driver and guide from a hotel in India. Problem: The guide again keeps offering extra stops at shops along the way. Later, when taking to other tourists, they suggest that either the guide or driver or both are getting commission from the shop owners, or the shop owners are their friends or relatives. On day one I am interested in seeing all the extra shops, but am very disappointed when I do not get to my destination. They say you can take another tour tomorrow.
   Solution: Day two I take another tour. But this time I tell the hotel receptionist what happened the previous day.  I want to do my museum stop first. I will refuse to get out until I have seen that stop and if I don't see my museum I will not pay.
    Again I am taken to a shop which 'happens to be en route'. I say we can do it on the way back, later. (I've learned from them.) No - because.
   I demand to be taken back to my hotel.
   They say, 'but You can do this tomorrow.'
    I say, 'no I can't. I am leaving tomorrow. I am writing for an english newspaper and if I write that I was twice taken on the wrong tour your taxi company, the hotel, the city, the whole of your country will be in disrepute.'
  Result. I see my destination.


No comments: