Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, June 2, 2014

Lost Taxi Tour in India

Lost Taxi
   I get in a taxi in India. Return trip to multi-storey shopping centre. I have memorised the last three digits of the taxi numberplate.
  I arrive back on ground floor where guide is supposed to wait. He's not there. I go into get help from information desk. Do I have name of hotel? Yes. But line is engaged. eventually get though to hotel. What's the name of driver and number of taxi? All drivers and guides are Mohammed or Patel. All taxis in the city end with the same three digits. The shopping centre has four exits, NSEW.
 I run round each one and round each car park. At the fourth, now ten minutes late - has he driven off already? The taxi drivers, all have moustaches and dark clothing, at least ten look like clones of mine.  They probably are his brothers or relatives. I am stressed. Luckily just as I run back in, I hear a shout. It's my taxi driver.  I could kiss him. I am so happy.

Solution
  After all this I am now careful I would photograph the driver, guide, taxi number, and email them straight back to people in another country, with the name of the hotel in view and the hotel guard or receptionist. I would have the phone number of my hotel, my companions my tour bus company, my guide's mobile phone. The taxi identifying call number.

I would have a map showing the route and all scheduled stops and get the hotel receptionist to get this agreed with the guide and driver, including the timing of each section of the journey and the length of each stop.

No comments: