Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, June 9, 2014

Creating A No Smoking Table In A Restaurant in The USA

Several years ago when no smoking in restaurants worldwide had just become a controversy I was on a large press trip for travel writers. We were visiting  four states in America where the four states meet. The four states are ArizonaColoradoNew Mexico, and Utah. On my trip were two other non-smokers, one from Europe, one from the USA.




At our first restaurant stop at breakfast the hotel had a table with a no smoking sign. I chose that table and my two non-smoking friends joined me. The non-smokers came over, saw the non-smoking sign and went away.

During the trip I sat tat the front of the coach to see better and hop off the coach and back on again in a hurry to take photos.
At our lunch stop I was first of the coach into the restaurant looking for a non-smoking table. I could not see one.
I asked. They did not have a policy or a sign. The girl serving was new.

I sat down, sighing. Why don't they have sign, I thought. They are not that expensive. They could even write one out by hand. If I wrote one and gave it to them and asked permission, maybe they would put it out.
I reached in my bag and got out a piece of paper and wrote non smoking.
Before I had time to go and as, one of my friends arrived and said, 'Oh - you found a mob-smoking table. Great.'
He sat down. 
In came the non-smokers. They looked at the sign and moved away.
All through the meal I was waiting for one of my friends to comment on the fact that I had written my own sign. But nobody guessed. They assumed the restaurant had done it.
***
How much is a sign?
I just went online and found a series of ads immediately. From pubshop.uk £1.47 (depending on whether you buy with or without VAT) plus postage. You could buy your own sign and carry it with you.
  Or just write your own!

No comments: