Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Edward VII statue stands outside which station? A weekend quiz for you and your family.

Edward's statue stands outside a London station. Which station? Which king? How's your history. I have some memory aids for you.

Edward VII statue stands outside Tooting Broadway. I found a picture of the statue as I was galloping through pictures of stations on the site about London railway stations. I was looking for all the hsitroc art deco buildings, and had hoped to find a gargoyle or mystical face, and given up hope of finding a plaque to a VIP person, let alone a statue.

But there stands the statue, right outside the station entrance. My family can't tell me which king was Edward VII and make a derisory guess at the 13th centruy. No, no no! I can see he's in modern dress.

My guess was that he was Queen Victoria's son, who reigned from when she died until George V took over during the first world war.

Yes, I could not get this wrong. I gave a talk on the kings and Queens of England to a Toastmasters speakers training meeting in Singapore at the time of the royal wedding. I had devised a memory aid for George V and George VI. George the Fifth in the First world war (FF) and George the Sixth in the Second World War (SS).

Edward VIII was the king who abdicated.Queen Victoria did not hold her son Edward VII in high esteem because she blamed him for the death of Albert Dear Albert had gone to rescue Edward from visiting a lady, worse than philandering - oh dear, say no more. If you don't know, look it up.

So, if you feel prudish and disapproving like Queen Victoria,  you can toot at Edward VII, mentally, only mentally, because tooting with car horns is not the done thing in the UK where we flash lights as silent signals in daytime as well as at night.

Back to thoughts on the statue. I am not surprised we have no monument to Edward VIII. But whilst the citizens of Tooting may love it, from a tourist's point of view, Tooting is not on the centre of the tourist map. Not like having a statue outside Houses of Parliament like Winston Churchill and other people who made a bigger impression on our and world history.

Finally Tooting Broadway is not Tooting Bec. Another of London's confusing stations. Oxford Circus station like Oxford Street, is in London, not Oxford. And London of which I speak is in England, not London in Canada.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: