Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Writing songs in French - French word of the day: chic, clique, beret, sachet

I sat in the café
A man wearing a beret
Gave me a sachet
I wanted a bouquet

To go to the ballet
And enjoy a soirée
Maybe you're too blasé
But I love a Café.


I suis dans un café
Je regarde tout le monde
Un jeune homme porte un beret
Je rêve de James Bond

Il me donne un sachet
J'ai voulé un bouquet
Invité au ballet
Pour passer le soirê

beret
sachet
chic - smart (clothing)
chic rhymes with cliquete

Listen to the rhymes of your favourite French songs. For example, Edith Piaf. Je ne r e g r e t  t e  r i e n.
A more recent favourite past weddings ... la main dans la main (hand in hand).
The last words of each song phrase rhyme with those of the other song.

Handy to collect French words, especially those which rhyme, if you are writing a song in French. I listened to some songs in French in a car then decided to write my own.I was really excited to have written my first song in French. I realised it was not a great song, not even a good song. The important things was it was my first attempt at writing a song in French.

Edith Piaf singing Non, je ne regret rien on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL75DC-Nt1
A La Main dans la main (not the version I know)

Angela Lansbury, teacher and tutor of French and English.

No comments: