Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Ten French words you can use in French restaurant

How do you greet your waiter?

bonsoir - good evening
madame - madam
monsieur -sir
mademoiselle - miss, young lady
au revoir - goodbye, literally to the again see, au=at the, re=repeat, voir=to see, until we meet again. Bear in mind that the English phrase Goodbye is short for God be with you.
merci - thank you (memory aid - remember thanks for small mercies)
de rien - not at all, literally of/for nothing, i.e. it's nothing
de l'eau - some water
s'il vous plait - please, literally if you please, also yes please
voilà - here it is, look! The accent means the tone comes down.

You have also learned
de - of
si - if
à - at
au - at the
le l' - the

très bien - very good
formidable - excellent (both these words are the same in both languages)

You might also need
où - where
sont - (pronounced sonne without the t) are
the toilets - les toilettes
l'addition - the bill (the addition), but in America they ask for the check because of course they will want to check the addition!
receipt -
we have -  n o u s avons, the s is pronounced like a z when followed by the vowel a, similarly with n o s amis our friends (spell checker wanted to turn the French word into the English word now)
a reservation - une reservation
two people - deux personnes
oui - yes
non- no
merci - thank you / no thank you

recipe - la recette
ski pass - forfeit

In French merci thanks is short for no thanks. I learned this in France when my French au pair girl Caroline offered me coffee. I said thank you in French, which I thought meant, yes, thank you. After waiting some time for my coffee, I asked why I had received none. At this points we discovered that English and French differ.

http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/the-bill-please-restaurant.1930782/
https://frenchtogether.com/ask-for-bill-french/
http://francetales.hubpages.com/hub/20-Things-to-say-in-French-when-in-a-restaurant
http://en.bab.la/phrases/travel/shopping/english-french/

I thought I should put this in alphabetical order but it seems odd to start with goodbye, so I have left it in the order in which you might need these words.

See my previous post for the difference between a baguette and baguettes!

I am saving this but in the middle of updating it so come back in half an hour.
Angela Lansbury, BA Hons, travel writer and photographer, speaker, author.

No comments: