Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, October 29, 2015

World Travel Market and blogging

The World Travel Market years ago was a show like many other travel shows, open to the big spenders and buyers in one area or at one time, welcoming journalists to special events to get publicity on the first day, open to all comers later, the public and students who ran around collecting brochures, leaflets and free samples.

But don't many people wear two hats, professional and private? I go to a place because I want to see it, then write an article about it, and several other places I passed on the way. Just like when visiting a restaurant, or trying to find a hotel, and stopping to ask the way.

The world travel market aims to attract in travel providers on the stands, then the people they are reaching, the tour operators and travel trade press, then the consumer magazines and consumers. The big and the small. Commercially, the aim is to attract the big and important, the big spenders, keeping out the small fry and the time-wasting small spenders and onlookers.

PR works on a different principle, read as many as possible, create a general opinion which will include both big and small, influencing by repetition of the message, down the chains, and outwards in ripples.

If you are travelling to the World Travel Market, you can get deals on reductions of transport and hotels. Find them on the WTM website.

Blogging is big business
If, however, you cannot get to the show, you can do some research online. I looked at the bloggers events. The press are often held up in one or two hour press shows. Some editors only attend on the first day. They can't take a whole week off when their publication has deadlines. Go into the press office to type up your blog, and you miss the next event.

However, with a bit of finger-tapping, I saw who would be speaking at each event. Then I went back to their websites and blogs. First, I wanted to find out who they were and whether I should be at the event. What made them successful"

I found my answers. One blogger went off for a year. His method, whether he planned in advance or simply discovered it worked, was to get three sets of blogs from one trip. First he would tell the readers or followers where he was about to go in the days and weeks in advance, to arouse their  interest. Secondly he would give them daily updates. Thirdly he would go back with follow-ups, feedbacks, more research.

That's fine for those who like to give up to the minute updates. I like to allow a one week gap, for security. I don't want people to know where I am going, or where I am now.

So the question arises, why am I writing, and why are they, the top bloggers, writing? Some are writing for fortune, others for fame. But is it the alternative of fame or fortune, or the amount of fame and fortune you want, and how much security and home life you are willing to sacrifice. I could go round the World Travel market to every stand and focus on hotels, because my dream is to live in a hotel for a year or more and have all the cleaning and cooking done by somebody else and just talk to interesting characters, sample every new wine and food through the seasons.

Yet, if I were offered writer in residence right now, I'd have to abandon my family and friends, for a whole year. Maybe not. Maybe I will do it if I am ever divorced or widowed. Maybe if I am ever completely out of funds. Or maybe if I am so rich I can fly overseas in the morning and back for the evening. (Rather like my late uncle who took a taxi home from hospital and returned nonchalantly to claim his bed in the evening.)

Those most intent on fame and fortune, rather than security, are often adventurous, incautious, love the new rather than their home. But those of us who became travel writers because they are 'citizens of the world', even sitting at a computer are travelling with their fingers.

Next week I shall be reading about the World Travel Market online, in the trade press, also in the national newspapers, local newspapers in the UK such as Metro, the Evening Standard, the local papers int he area of the exhibition hall, City AM, the Financial Times, on the BBC and Daily Mail, everywhere in the UK and the world.

What if you can't travel to the World Travel Market?
Follow me. Where am I going next? Planning my next trip.
So, goodbye for now. I must go back to the World Travel Market website.

World Travel Market has a website.
So does the exhibition centre ExCel (with photos for writers and bloggers to use copyright free).

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/10/28/58091/travel-to-wtm-faces-disruption-due-to-dlr-strike.html
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/wtm-in-talks-with-transport-bosses-over-strike-threat-1340
http://www.wtmlondon.com/events/Conferences/#search=d%3D%26rpp%3D12

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: