Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, December 14, 2015

Christmas Card Collections and the big one in Manchester, England

Christmas card collection is at Manchester Metropolitan University (former Poly), in the Sir Kenneth Green library. I remember his name by thinking of the colour Green.

The first Christmas card in England was commissioned by Mr Cole. I remember his name by thinking of coal black. He had helped set up the penny post, so printing greeting cards was a smart marketing move ,creating demand for the post. The first batch printed was a thousand cards, and they printed another thousand.

That was in 1843. About thirty years later, over in America, 1874 to be precise, the unfortunately named Mr Prang did not have a prang but a great success. Did he outdo the English by printing a million cards? No he didn't. He printed 5 million cards!

Here are some modern Christmas cards:




I have been researching everything to do with Christmas because I am giving a speech about Christmas items - cards, carols, crackers, food and trees.

See more about the Christmas card collection in Wikipedia.
For more about me, follow my posts, follow me on Facebook, link to me on Linked in and see me on Youtube. My books are on Amazon and Lulu.com and you can buy them from me and get a signed copy if you meet me at a writers' or speakers' meeting or holiday.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: