Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Street Lights in Hatch End and Stanmore High Street Tree

Residents, shoppers and shopkeepers seemed to be in some doubt as to whether Hatch End would have street lights this year. Other streets had decorated lamp posts and trees. What had happened in Hatch End?

The word went round that the money was not forthcoming. That nobody had asked, nobody had organised it, because some shops had gone out of business and new people did not know anything about street lights or what to do.

Magically this week the lights appeared on the lamps.


Rumours and questions are still going around, but this time, on a more cheerful basis. I wondered why lights could not simply be stored from previous years? A former shop owner told me:
The tree costs a few thousand, the lights cost a few thousand. Somebody has to take time getting the promises and collecting the money. You can't keep the lights because you still need somebody to put them up. So you hire them from the rental company who put them up and take them down. I'm not climbing up a lamp post. Are you?

Somebody else said, 'Surely the council sends around a team to erect streets lights? Isn't it a question of health and safety? They must already have all the cranes for changing light bulbs and dealing with fallen trees and lamp posts. Don't they do the lights in every high street.'

Then I thought: I took a photo last year of the people erecting the trees and lights. I have a picture showing the equipment with the name of whoever does it.

Finding Old Photos
I just have to search for street lights, or Hatch End, and I'll find the pictures. Or go back through each December.

I looked at my photos from last year. No luck. I'll have to do a search of previous years. That means going back to archived photos. Until you come to write a blog, you have no idea how much time it takes to add pictures. It's quickest to put up pictures immediately after you have taken them. Then you can remember the places and people and caption them easily. Edit the one of several you have taken. Remove the ones where people have closed their eyes, waved their hands in the air creating blur, walked in front of the camera. or signs are obscured by a passing bus. Somewhere I have a picture which I edited and captioned. Pictures will be placed here within 48 hours. Come back.

Hatch End has no tree this year. But a tree is in nearby Pinner, near the war memorial, across the road from St John's Church, at the top of the road going uphill left of the station, from the lower end of the park with the Heath Robinson Museum.

Stanmore Winter Holiday Lights With Tree 2015

Update Dec 26 2015 - go to this post - I found the photos of putting up lights in Hatch End.


Please follow my pages. Like me on Facebook. Link to me on Linked In. Check out my books on Amazon and Lulu.com I'm starting to develop a publishing business. I've just had a request for books on new subjects.
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.)

No comments: