Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, December 14, 2015

La Dolce Vita and Panettone


This is their symbol.  La dolce vita is Italian for the sweet life. It is the name of the shop, and of a film. On the left, circling the edge of what is or reminds you of a plate, is the word gelato, for cold ice cream, and on the right the word caffe, the Italian word for coffee, different from the French, the Italians doubling the letter f.

In the nostalgic and evocative picture you can see the ruins of the ancient, multi-storey Colosseum in Rome, two cups, coffee beans during out of a bag, a wooden box with a drawer and a hand-operated grinder with a copper coloured bowl.



To make it simple, think: ten, twenty or thirty pounds for Panettone small, medium or large.


Remembering the spelling of Panettone
When I was typing the word Panettone to find information or suppliers, I had trouble remembering which letter was doubled. First I thought of the French for bread which is pain. I made the mistake of doubling the n. Pan or pain or has a single n. Eventually I made up a mnemonic (memory aid). 

I think of a panet, or basket, for Tony.  Panet-tone - Panettone. Then I thought of the arched panettone, rising to the double letter in the middle. Finally I thought of the letters either side of the double TT.  a-n-e and o-n-e.





Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.


No comments: