Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, December 16, 2018

How to recycle Merry Xmas cake decorations for your cake or table decorations

I saw somebody throw Xmas cake decorations in the bin and thought, What a waste! I am keen on recycling.
I took the decorations home. In the UK, I have saved my own cake decorations from one year to the next.
This year I went to two Xmas parties in Singapore where the cake decorations were not wanted by anyone else.
I was looking at the decorations which had fallen on their sides, and at the lid of a milk carton I had just finished. It occured to me that the coloured plastic stopper from the milk carton was just the right size for a pot for a little plastic tree from a cake.

I just needed a hole for the spike.

How do you make the hole?

1 Use an electric drill.
2 Use an awl.
3 Use the sharp point of a pair of scissors - not a small pair you might break.

Go carefully. If the hole is too big, your Xmas tree will stand at an angle as if it is about to fall over. You may have to twist it around and stand it against a support.

My most successful method was with the ends of a corn on the cob pick, You have to be very careful. You don't want the hole too big, nor too small. You don't want to force the point down onto a work surface which might be scratched or pock marked or damaged, nor to risk the spike going through suddenly. But don't hold it in the air and risk it going through suddenly and scratching yourself.

I was delighted with the result. cute and colourful. I thought I could take it with me on holiday at Christmas. If the country in Asia or China or elsewhere does not celebrate Xmas, I still have my weeny Xmas decorations for Xmas in the bedroom or Xmas Day breakfast in bed.

No comments: