Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, December 31, 2018

Vietnam Museum of Ethnology - Delightful

I thought this would be dull but the building and presentation were ultra-modern.

I went straight into the two shops inside the entry gate by the ticket booth, in case they were closed by the time I returned. I bought one of those neck purses which I used to buy for my passport when travelling. Now I need it for my mobile phone to keep it handy ready to take photos.

The main mauseum is on two floors.

Highlights:

Funerals.

This is a funeral scene. White is worn by the mourning son of the deceased. Red is worn by the daughter-in-law.


Musical instruments.

Slash and burn farming for crop rotation.

Models of communal longhouses - and the big reproductions outside.

We were about to leave when we asked the way to a caffe. We passed another large modern building with people inside and went to see what it was. Another hidden museum in the same complex.

The Second Building

Highlights:
Paintings.
Costumes.
A giant drum.

What more could they add? Some statistics on life expectancy. We have romantic ideas about primitive people having natural food and long life expectancies.

I was going along with the romantic idea of cultures which should be preserved. Then a couple of things made me question this view.
Sacrifice of a bull. Looked very cruel to me.
Witch doctor type medicine.
Killing elephants.

The elephant display was fascinating, as elsewhere in the museum, a combination of excellent photos with comments, and videos.

More Information From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Joseph's_Cathedral,_Hanoi
Travel information
For hotels
booking.com
Comparison site:
https://www.clicktripz.com/rates/search/index
For airlines
travelok.com
vietJetair.com (Comprehensive list of budget airlines in Wikivoyage.)
For transport
https://www.grab.com/vn/en/

Language
Duolingo.com 
(Remember to click on the sound symbol to hear how words are pronounced.) 

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

Please share links to your favourite posts. I have several more on Hanoi, Halong Bay and Vietnam.

No comments: