Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Simple Spanish for travellers

I remember coming down to breakfast in a spanish hotel and not knowing the word for breakfast. I had to go back to the bedroom and hunt for my Spanish-English, English-Spanish dictionary. Desayuno. (How to remember it - you wake up desperate, des, aye-yes, for one, uno, mouthful.)

Hello - hola
Goodbye - adios
Please - por favor
tomorrow - mañana
Do you have -
Thanks - gracias
Thank you very much/ thanks a lot - mutes gracias
Not at all / you're welcome/literally of/for nothing (response to thank you) - de nada
Where is
What time
Do you speak English -habla used Ingles?
I don't speak spanish - no halo epsilon
sorry lo siento
excuse me
breakfast - desayuno
lunch
bedroom
double bed
dictionary
I would like - quasar
I want to buy -
buy - comparer
what's this/that - que es so
this is - este es
May - mayo
Jun - junio
calor - hot
frio - cold
what time - que hora
july - Julio
lunch - la c o m i d a (la sounds like lunch, then notice the letters l and c in both lunch and la c o m i d a, and mid sounds like mid-day)
dinner - la vena
coffee - cafe
tea
 the pronounced tay
where is - donde esta
toilet - aseo (where you sit down and park your ass, to use an Americanism)

More resources:
1 G o o g le translate (the spellchecker wants to change this to goggle)

2 Spanish visual phrase book by DK
It cost £4.99 when I bought it.

3 Earworms Spanish
Disc and booklet from Berlitz. Listen to the repetition.


Useful resources:
google translate

No comments: