Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, May 11, 2015

The bus ticket which solved a murder mystery

Years ago in a Singapore newspaper I read about how a murder mystery was solved with the help of a bus ticket. If I remember rightly, the story went like this:

A middle aged or elderly business owner was found murdered in a hotel or motel room. The room had no evidence of any kind except a used bus ticket in the bin.

The bus ticket was for a journey from a housing estate to the motel. The man did not live in the housing estate, so it was presumed that the ticket was left by the assailant or one of a group.

The detectives got the list of residents of the housing estate. In addition to the official residents, some unofficial residents were camping out in the void deck (the empty area below the building).

Amongst these unofficial residents was one of the murdered man's employees. The employees were questioned.  I think he ran a restaurant and had three employees, two brothers, or compatriots, and the young girlfriend or wife or sister, who the older employer fancied.

I cant remember the details, whether it was premeditated as a robbery or blackmail. One thing did stick in my mind. A bus ticket tells your route.

Later I used bus ticket route tracking trying to find a lost or stolen phone, when I needed to report which bus I had taken. I was not using a paper ticket for one trip, but a plastic card.


No comments: