Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Boulevard restaurant, South Croydon, serves lovely lunches

A few steps downhill from South Croydon station is The Boulevard. it sounds French and the menu is somewhat French but staff are an eclectic mix. The owner, a chef, is Serbian and his name is Mr Ljubinko. The friendly staff include a bearded waiter who served me who told me he was Romanian and his name Ion is the Romanian equivalent of Ian (or Jan or Sean) or John.

I loved the atmosphere, the decor of tiles and arches. The restaurant is a sort of L shape with two front areas and another part leading to a space behind the bar.

From the wide choice on the menu and the blackboard I chose smoked salmon with polenta. So hard to find polenta, and it was cooked solid, just the way I like it.

I thought I ordered duck but it could have been chicken because it was hidden in an envelope of something resembling chou or filo pastry, very tasty. Actually, when you are in a group, enjoying a conversation, it's good to have food you can fork or spoon into your mouth and shovel away, with your eyes on your companion, and not needing to watch your plate as you carve meat off the bone.

I was on a table of ten and managed to try five desserts. (We shared five plates of cheese, one in the middle between each couple facing each other, and five different desserts which we passed around. I was quite full and could have done without four of the desserts, but I loved the crumble and custard which was just right, sticky and filling and sweet but with plenty of bland custard to offset sweetness.

If I lived nearer I'd make it my regular eating place. Great for groups. If you have a birthday you can write your name on the chalk board on the wall to the left of the menu board.

Look out for the A board on the pavement outside offering bargain lunches.

The Boulevard
7/8 Ruskin Parade,
South Croydon
CR2 6PW
Tel: 0208 649 9990.

No comments: