Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, November 28, 2016

Truffles Found By Dogs in Umbria



I went out truffle hunting with three dogs, their owner, the head of the truffle company and lots of people keen to try eating fresh truffles.

I'd always thought you needed a wild pig to find a truffle. A large wild pig. Although little piglets are cute, and pigs on farms are friendly, I'm not so sure about a wild boar.

The good news is you don't need a heavyweight bad-tempered boar to find a truffle. The friendliest little terrier is just fine.

How do you train your dogs, and yourself - and how long does it take?


Here are some pictures of truffles. The first thing I was going to say is that sweet truffle chocolates and savoury truffles in eggs are two different things. However, the first thing I noticed in the reception centre where the big buyers are entertained was a bowl of silver foil wrapped chocolates. They turned out to be chocolate coated with a savoury truffle centre.
I was in Umbria, in the heart of Italy.
Finally, real truffle, served in food at the truffle factory's kitchen. This was just one of the surprises and delights of my informative and educational trip to Umbria.

(More text and amusing pictures in my later post.)
http://urbanitartufi.it
umbriatourism.it

Angela Lansbury

No comments: