Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

World's First Open Top Cable Car In Switzerland



The Swiss Tourist Board's PR company sent me as a member of the public a leaflet. I skimmed through it. There was a questionnaire about the contents. I looked again. The world's first open top cable car. Where is it? Somewhere in Switzerland. The answer is in the brochure.

A most amazing picture. How did they get that past health and safety? I supposed it's no worse than being on a chair lift, except that in a chair lift you have a seatbelt. I think all chair lifts should have supplies of emergency food and drink and emergency toilets.

I speak as somebody who was stuck on a chairlift sandwiched with two others in a ski resort in the USA. Luckily we were rescued and the whole system started moving again just after the people on the chair ahead were sent down helped by an abseiling rescuer.

I just went on a funicular up to hilltop Todi in Italy in the Umbria region. I loved the funicular. Funiculars are fun. For me fear of funiculars and cable cars is like fear of flying. I worry much more in advance. Once on it all I can think of is getting a good photograph.


Cabrio is a brand name. You may have heard of cabriolet which is a convertible car, meaning that the roof slides to allow you to open it in good weather. You can read more about it.
http://www.stanserhorn.ch/en
You can also see it in motion on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS9aZt_xOSY
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: