Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Where can I find a picture of The Cedars



I have been looking for a picture of The Cedars, the home of the Blackwell family, of Crosse and Blackwell pickles. I have looked under the name of the owner, Thomas Blackwell. A search under The Cedars has now revealed the name of the architect of the building, Robert Lewis Roumieu, who created a distinctive building in the centre of London, and many others. So I'm sure The Cedars was a great house.

Mr Crosse and Mr Blackwell were employees of a pickle producing company. They bought it and developed it, buying chef's recipes, and acquired the royal warrant.

I am really sorry that the house was destroyed. It's a struggle to find even a photo of the house or the two men, whose names are so well known. Several streets and buildings in Harrow or Harrow Weald are named after Blackwell.

Another interesting fact is that one of them, William Blackwell I think, married into the heiress of the local family who produced bricks, so prevalent in London. In England the term redbrick applied to provincial universities, as opposed to the older and more prestigious Oxford and Cambridge with their grey stones. London soil is red clay, hence the red bricks.

Local newspapers and websites report on The Cedars, the park which is open to the public, with just the grand gates, which I photographed and showed in my previous post.

William Blackwell was buried in All Saints church near Crosse. I went to All Saints Church when Harrow Writers Circle performed an evening of poetry and readings in the church for their festival arts week. As I walked around the grounds my eye was immediately drawn to the two grand mausoleums, one of which is seven foot high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lewis_Roumieu

I just did a search for Crosse and Blackwell and found my previous article on them and a picture of St Anselm's church and a pickle label.

I found the Crosse and Blackwell website. I typed this message:
I would like photos of Mr Blackwell and Mr Crosse and a picture of the now demolished house where Blackwell lived. Thank you very much. If you can send me the pictures or references to where they may be found I would be most grateful. Wikipedia has articles on them and I have photographed the park, the gates of the house, and the graves of the two men at All Saints Church in Harrow Weald. I would like to see statues of them in the centre of Harrow, or, failing that, in Hatch End where Blackwell gave land for St Anselm's Church.

Up pops the reply that they are sorry my message was not uploaded so please give them a quick call. But they don't have the phone number.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

1 comment:

BukowskiVenom said...

I have located some mystery photos on Flickr and believe them to be The Cedars, Harrow Weald due to a comparison photo of the estate I found on Twitter. The Twitter links and Flickr links below. These might be the only surviving photos of that great home unless some are in obscure books or in a library somewhere. https://twitter.com/time_nw/status/1253195093059743744 https://www.flickr.com/photos/architec/8638606564/in/pool-whathouseisthis/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/architec/8637494199/in/pool-whathouseisthis/